Simmons Seafood Home

Simmons Seafood History

Simmons Seafood Catering

Simmons Seafood Retail

Simmons Seafood Maps

Simmons Seafood Contact Us

 

 

  Simmons Seafood History

 

First Simmons Seafood 1947

1947- Hugh and his wife Ella Simmons turned to the sea to provide for their family. With a small shrimp boat and a weather worn building they began Simmons Seafood.
1955-The fifties were a booming time and Mt. Pleasant had its first growth spurt. Hugh and Ella saw the need for a retail outlet. In front of their fish house they built the first Simmons Seafood Market on Ben Sawyer Blvd.

Simmons Seafood 1955

Simmons Seafood. Mt Pleasant Store 1972

1972-Mt. Pleasant continued to grow and the Simmons built a new building to house their retail, wholesale and catering business. By this time the Simmons boys, William Simmons and Hugh "Red" Simmons Jr. had separated their talents with William taking the helm of the Ben Sawyer Blvd. store and Red focusing on servicing the shrimp trade with his Shem Creek facility
1986-Three generations of Simmons have now served the Lowcountry with William's son Bubba joining in 1983. He helped introduce Charleston to a new and inventive catering style and Simmons' now famous "key lime pie"

Simmons Seafood and Catering 1986

Simmons Seafood. Isle of Palms Store 1993

1993- Bubba carried on the Simmons tradition by opening the companies second store on Isle of Palms.